I was laying in bed this morning (partly thanks to my dad, who seemed to forget about the whole daylight savings time thing and texted me at 5 am and partly thanks to my left ear, which is once again acting up) and for some reason, my mind starting thinking about how often one hears 'Oh, the book was SO much better!' I don't know why I went down this line of thinking, I just did (maybe it was to get my thoughts away from the fact that a Star Wars exhibit was starting today at the Seattle Center and I wouldn't be there... *sad face*) and then it hit me-are there any movies out there that suppress the book? So here's my list (feel free to disagree or agree) of movies that are just as good-if not better-than the book.
1. Princess Bride-The book is clever and well written, but come on. I think most anyone would rather watch the movie than read the book ("Are there rocks ahead?" "If there are, we'll all be dead!" "No more rhyming now, I mean it!" "Anyone want a peanut?" -Classic!).
2. Inkheart-I saw the movie before I knew it was even a book, but when I got the book, I remember thinking, 'huh, whatever.' I even read the second one, which bored me, and I haven't even tried to find the third book.
3. Little Women-The 1994 one with Winoa Ryder-and yes, I've seen the older versions, so I can say it. Now, I love the book, but personally, I like the movie a little more. Maybe because it's the only non-war related movie that I've ever cried to, or maybe it's because I can totally relate to Jo, but I love this movie. I watch it whenever I'm feeling girly. Plus, Christian Bale.
4. Treasure Island-Speaking of Christian Bale...^_^ Check out this old movie with Charlton Heston and a young Christian Bale. Unfortunately, I don't think you can find it on DVD (yet?), but still, my mom and I love this version! Oh, and the Muppet's Treasure Island is really good, too.
5. 10 Things I Hate About You-Based of Taming of the Shrew. Now, I'm a fan of Shakespeare, make no mistake. But seriously-10 Things is probably the best adaptation of this book. Just saying.
6. And since we're on Shakespeare, as much as I love reading the plays, I also like watching Romeo and Juliet (yeah, I've seen the old one, but I really like the one with Claire Danes) and Much Ado About Nothing (except for maybe Keanu Reeves part-it is a little dull).
7. Little Princess-One of my all time favorite children's books and I HATED the Shirley Temple and the other Disney one they made. Horrible renditions, both of them. And her dad coming back??! What the heck-that's NOT how the book is written. So I was really excited to see that my favorite version of this book is FINALLY out on DVD! It's from 1986 and was shown through PBS, made in England. It's faithful to the book and I think it's pretty well acted. Now, to get the DVD...
8. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe-Now, personally, I think all the movies are better than the books, but that's just me (since everyone seemed to hate Prince Caspian for some reason and I loved it). I've tried to read Chronicles of Narnia time and time again-but the truth is, they're just too childish. I can't get through them.
9. Lord of the Rings-I've read the books, but I'm not my mother, who reads them every year and has every other book about them on her bookcase. I like the books, but the movies are fabulous. I do resepct Tolkien, though, for coming up with the whole world, mythology, languages, etc. Awesome job.
So those are a few movies that are just as good/if not better than the book. I've updated my blog and killed an hour. Cool. Back to playing Dragon Age II.
No comments:
Post a Comment