Saturday, October 1, 2011

Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, Book 1)

By: Megg Jensen
Category: Young Adult Fantasy
Stars: ***

"Forget prophecy. Make your own destiny.

Sheltered from the outside world with no hope for escape, slave girl Reychel dreads her fifteenth birthday - when her master’s symbol is burned on the back of her bald scalp. Her best friend disappears the night before, leaving her to face the branding ceremony alone. She soon discovers nothing is as it seems when people desperate for freedom beg for Reychel's help.

Can Reychel learn to believe in herself?"


Lately I've been downloading and reading a bunch of free (or cheap) books for my Kindle-it really helps when you don't have quite as much money as you wish, or when you know you need to spend that money on things that are important, like bills.  Now don't get me wrong, I love books and will never stop buying them (in fact, I even have an interview on Monday at Barnes and Nobel, so chances are, if I get this job, I'll be buying much more to add to my collection), but I do enjoy my Kindle...

So anyway, I found this book and thought, for 99 cents (it's now up to $2.99), I'll give it a try. Plus, the reviews on Amazon were pretty good.

It wasn't bad.  Sometimes the writing was a little...too young adult, and it was predictable (at least, I saw where it was going from early on).  The language that the characters used kept jumping from old style to modern, which got a little annoying.  The main character, Reychel, was OK-I liked her a whole lot more than her best-friend, who was nothing more than a whiny, petty character (even for a 15-year-old) that made me want to jump into the book and smack her.  The male love interest could have been used better, but I'm sure that will come into play more in the later books...which I might actually look into, just to see where it goes.

No comments: