Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year, New Books

Yikes, I realize that I haven't exactly updated this thing since October.  I'm going to try harder this year to update with more book reviews, which should be easier since I'm now working at Barnes and Noble.  I actually got the job back at the end of October, and was hired as 'holiday help.'  They informed me recently that while they can't hire me on as part or full time, they would like to keep me on as an 'on call' employee.  I agreed readily, sure that I would never hear from them again.  Then, surprise, surprise, I've been called into work twice this week and yesterday one of the employees asked me to take her shift tonight.  So I have high hopes of being called in at least once or twice a week...hopefully more?

And while I love that, cause it's really the perfect place for me, I may have to start searching for a better job unless Ben gets a job at Boeing like he wants.  If that happens, I can stay with B&N.  If not, I'm looking somewhere else.  In the meantime, I'm taking advantage of the discount and buying as many book as I can afford.

The holidays were good-Thanksgiving was held at my Aunt Penny's house, like it has been the past...many years.  It's fun-she discovered years ago that it's fun to cover the table with large sheets of paper and put cups of crayons on the table for people to draw with.  There are some real artists in my family...though sadly I am not one of them.  Which is fine, because it's fun to walk around and see what everyone else draws.

Christmas was held at our house this year-I volunteered at Thanksgiving after my mom expressed disinterest in having it at her house.  To spice it up, Ben and I decided to have a Sci-Fi Christmas, so we decorated with all my geeky sci-fi stuff that I've been collecting my whole life.  Our tree was covered in Star Trek/Wars ornaments, we downloaded geek Christmas songs (yup, they're out there-look up 'Vader did you Know' on YouTube-it's awesome!) and Ben printed out some awesome sci-fi pictures from our favorite shows.

I got some good stuff for Christmas, though my favorite thing was a wooden cheese board that my dad made from various types of wood.  My mom has one like it and I've been eying it for years.  My brother got me the video game Skyrim, which I've only played a few minutes on so far-I'm still trying to get used to playing on the PS3 instead of the computer, and it's harder than I thought it'd be.  Plus, playing on our large TV gave me a headache-even from halfway across the room where I was seated.  I'll try again next week (I'm taking a break from video games this first week in January just to see what would happen.  Turns out, I've been writing more.  Not a bad trade! ^_^  I may have to do this once or twice a month).

No comments: