Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Just Another Day

It's been a while since I've updated, so I thought I would.

Let's see...Ben got promoted on March 1st! He's now an E3, so congrats to him!

Last Friday I went with a friend down to Portland so we could go to Powell's Books-if you like books and have never been there-GO!! This place is huge, it's like my own personal little heaven. It's a four story bookstore, with both new and used books side by side. There's actually a map of the place in case you get lost (which isn't hard to do). They even have two seperate stores, one with computer related books and one for home and garden. I'm gonna have to make several more trips down there before Ben comes home and we have to move. It's a great way to expand my library! ^_^

A few weeks ago I went with one of the pastor's wives to a Christian writing conference in Bothel, and I had mixed reviews. On one hand, I didn't learn much there-one of the speakers spoke about dialouge, and how to properly use it...and how you should stick with the words 'said and ask'. I'm don't really agree with that, but whatever. On the other hand, they seperate their tables by genre (ie: Fiction, Devotinals, Theology, etc) so you're sitting with a bunch of people who share your same interest. As I suspected, there were a lot of romance/mystery Christian writers, but I was pleased to find two people at my table, one who wrote science-fiction, and one who wrote fantasy, although it was allegory that she wrote, and it's not my favorite. Still, it was fun to talk to them. Not sure how they would view my story ideas, though. I can just imangine...

I may go back-they meet on the first Monday of every month, and maybe next month they'll have something different. I dunno. At this point, anything to inspire me to write, since I keep seeming to run into writer's block (actually, they talked about how to get through writer's block there, and some of the people at my table had some ideas that I may try).

Of course, I was just inspired for my most recent sci-fi work by a history channel special about Ancient Aliens (yeah, the little green guys-and just like Fox Mulder, "I want to believe!"). It was pretty darn interesting...and gave me a ton of stuff to research for my book. Yay history channel!

Well, I'm wrapping this up. Later.

1 comment:

Zymox said...

Yes, you have to go to Powell's again, and you have to take me with you. Pick a weekend any weekend. I'm out of school now so I have no life. Plus, six full bookcases are not enough.