Friday, September 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Ben!

Another year older-he's now officially past the quarter century mark.  ^_^

Hm, I was doing pretty well with keeping this thing updated and then I stopped...my bad.  Let's backtrack a little.

The beginning of September was fun-our friends Cody and Jeanette and came out and stayed for a week, a huge relief for them and a much needed break from their four children.  Ben and Cody did a lot of scuba diving and Jeanette and I did some shopping and went to the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium.  We took them around the island and did all the fun touristy things.  I took them to see the Arizona the day before they left because Ben was working, and that was another powerful trip.  No matter how many times I've been to that, it's still emotional.  We weren't able to go onto the Missouri because it was closed for filming-turns out, they were filming an episode of the new Hawaii 5-0, which premiered last Monday and I missed.  While they were here, I even went into the ocean-and more than just getting my feet wet.

This was an interesting experience.  We found a secluded beach that had pretty big swells and just went for it.  Turns out, some of the swells were much bigger than I thought and that resulted on me getting pummeled to the point of becoming disoriented.  Luckily, Jeanette was there to grab me and pull me out of the water.  It was fun, but I found out a few things-1-the water is really, really, really salty and tastes bad and stings your eyes.  2-I know that getting sand everywhere on your is part of the whole going in the ocean thing, but I've never had that much sand on anything before.  My bathing suit, which I've washed twice, still has sand in it. 

Cody and Jeanette left on Wednesday and Friday was my birthday.  I got from Ben: two necklaces, a pack of gel pens, Lost seasons 4 & 5 and Star Wars A Visual Chronological Encyclopedia that details the timeline of Star Wars from it's creation to present day and includes all the books written in the series, all the toys, games, cartoons, etc.  Mom and Dad sent me Dollhouse season 1 (I have yet to see it, but Erin says it's really good, and let's face it, it is Joss Wheden) and some delicious smelling soap-Cinnamon Rose.  Dad said he's thinking of combined present for Ben and I...I hope it's a new couch...though I have no idea how that would work getting it out here...maybe money towards a couch?  For my birthday dinner we went to our favorite Mexican place.

On Monday Ben went in for PRK eye surgery.  He said it was the strangest experience ever-being awake while the Doctor 'shined' his eyes.  The first day he did fine-no headaches or anything.  The next day he wasn't so lucky.  He's doing better now-though he can't look at a computer or the TV too long and bright lights/sunshine causes headaches and he still wears his sunglasses inside.  But he says it's all worth it and he's really happy that he doesn't have to wear glasses anymore...plus he got a week off work, even though someone did call him everyday.

He went back to work this Tuesday and learned that everyone had Friday off-which is his birthday and he didn't even mind that he would have to work Saturday and Sunday...only to find out yesterday that his 1st Sgt. decided that he wanted Ben to work today, his birthday.  This sort of upsets me.  If he had tomorrow off, I wouldn't mind so much, because at least I'd get a full day with my husband, but now I don't get one until...next Saturday?  Maybe?  I never know with the Army.  Guess I should just suck it up and deal with it. 

Maybe I should go make his cake...

No comments: