Friday, October 22, 2010

An Update

I'm updating because I realized I haven't in a while.  Oops.

It's been pretty slow around here lately, but that's OK-it's pretty typical here in Hawaii.  Read a few good books (Honolulu by Alan Brennert and When the Elephants Dance by Teresa...somebody (This one was a great book, BTW, about a family in the Philippines who hides from the Japanese during WWII).  Ben did some more recording for the heavy metal band Meridian here on base-which resulted in me spending a lot of time at the library because drums in such a small space are really very loud.  And on a Sunday when the library wasn't open I went and saw that Legend of the Guardian owl movie.  It was decent-pretty dark for a kids movie, though maybe kids are OK with that kind of stuff now. 

Ben and I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary on the 6th of October-we went out to eat at a restaurant called Jamison's By the Sea up at North Shore-I had mahi-mahi, which was delicious.  And the sunset over the ocean wasn't too bad, either (I may not like the sun, but I love sunsets, and I have to admit, there are some pretty ones here).

Ben and I are also going to Maui on November 11 and staying until the 14th.  I'm eager to go-Oahu is so small that we've pretty much done everything there is to do (with 2 or 3 exceptions, but that's because of price).  It'll be nice to go see somewhere else.

I am a little baffled by the price, though, of getting to an island only 40 miles away.  Plane tickets are ridiculously expensive-well, they're cheap if you're flying one way, but you can't purchase a round-trip ticket for the small airplanes, so you're paying $63 a flight per person, which adds up.  We finally found a relatively good price for plane tickets and a hotel room...and we have to get a rental car.  It all adds up, and we're spending more that we'd like, but at least we'll have fun. 

Hawaii used to have a ferry system from island to island, and that would be wonderful-it'd be cheaper, and we'd have our own car to drive, but the environmentalists threw a fit about the ferry screwing up the waters or something (there are SO MANY boats around these islands, I don't see how it would have made a difference, but whatever) and they canceled the system.  I saw on the news a few weeks ago that they're considering starting it up again...in 2012 or so. 

We're also planning on coming back to Seattle for Christmas, and hopefully for my cousin Stephenie's wedding on New Years Eve, so that'll be awesome.  I'm looking forward to cold weather, and maybe this year it will snow.  One can only hope. ^_^

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'll be home for Christmas too!! We'll definitely have to meet up for coffee or something. :)

Zymox said...

I can't wait to see you this December! I miss you!