Ben is finally back in the US for at least 15 months! ^_^ After that, who knows-there's rumors he could be deployed to Afghanstan, but again, it's just rumors. He came home Sunday night-they had a special ceremony welcoming them home-we wives and families waited for about 2 1/2 hours, but the ceremony was pleasently short and we got back to the hotel about 8:30.
We're staying at the hotel for now, which is really weird. I don't mind the hotel-it's relatively large, and has a fridge and microwave...but no stove, which makes it hard. Chicken cooked in a microwave can't be very good.
However, we went to Housing yesterday, and got on the list for a house. Actually, we are going to be meeting our leasing guy on Friday and viewing a 2-bedroom apartment building on base and close to where Ben goes to work everyday. Here are the perks: 2-bedroom, air-conditioning in master bedroom and living room, and close to where Ben works, meaning that he could walk or ride a bike. It's on the third floor, so possibly, less bugs. On the other hand, a buddy of Ben's told us that the apartments are usually where there's a bunch of guys who live together and have loud parties. That's never fun. It's also more expensive-we're only given a certain amount of money each month for rent, and the apartments will take it all.
The other choice we have are the 'historical' houses on Wheeler Air Force Base. The perks are: the rooms are larger, and it's cheaper-we'd be saving about $250 a month by living there. It's in a quiet place. The bad parts: these homes are historical, meaning they were built in the 40's or so, and we're not allowed to do anything to them. The floors, walls and ceilings are concrete-there's no air conditioning, but the concrete apparently keeps the house cool. It's farther away from the base, meaning we'd have to buy another vehicle.
I guess we'll have to see when we see the apartment on Friday. I'm used to apartments, and I think I could handle the parties....maybe.
Either way, hopefully we'll have a place to live by next week. Our household goods arrived today, and they're holding them until we get a place-if we get it quickly. If we don't, they store our stuff for 30 days. Let's hope we get a house quick!
We borrowed a truck today from Melanie and her husband, so at least we can get out of the hotel now. I don't mind walking, but walking everywhere in 85 degrees with the humidity of 87 with no wind sucks.
I'm in Hawaii for this weekend, but next weekend I'll be back in Washington for all of three days (Arrive Friday, leave Sunday morning) for my friend's wedding. Then mom and I will board the same plane Sunday morning and come back to Hawaii. It'll be fun-I'm making mom make us curry while she's here. ^_^
No comments:
Post a Comment